Saxophonist George Garzone is a member of The Fringe, a jazz trio founded in 1972 that includes bassist John Lockwood and drummer Bob Gullotti, that performs regularly in the Boston area and has toured Portugal. The group has released three albums. A veteran jazzman, Garzone has appeared on over 20 recordings. He began on the tenor when he was six, played in a family band and attended music school in Boston. In addition Garzone has guested in many situations, touring Europe with Jamaaladeen Tacuma and performing with Danilo Perez, Joe Lovano, Jack DeJohnette, Rachel Z and John Patitucci among others.
Garzone is well-known as a sought-after jazz educator, currently teaching at the Berklee College of Music.
He has also previously taught at New England Conservatory, Longy School of Music, New York University,
Manhattan School of Music, Northeastern University and the New School University. He has pioneered the triadic chromatic approach and students of his have included Joshua Redman, Branford Marsalis, Teadross Avery, Luciana Souza, Mark Turner, Donny McCaslin, Doug Yates and Danilo Perez, to name a few.
In 1995 he recorded a fine tribute to Stan Getz on NYC called Alone; Four's and Two's followed a year later with compatriot Joe Lovano which earned him four stars in Downbeat magazine, and in 1999 Garzone returned with Moodiology. Fringe in New York was released in summer 2000. He is a member of the Grammy-winning Joe Lovano Nonet,
and performed and recorded with this group at the Village Vanguard in September
2002. George is endorsed by Rico Reeds, JodyJazz mouthpieces and R. S. Berkeley
PERFORMANCES WITH PROMINENT ARTISTS
George has performed with many prominent artists, too many to name. Listed below are a select few.
- Saxophonists: George Adams, Jerry Bergonzi, Michael Brecker, Claire Daly, Kenny Garrett, Dave Liebman, Joe Lovano, Tony Malaby, Joshua Redman, James Spaulding, Stan Strickland, Frank Tiberi, Steve Wilson
- Trumpet players: Randy Brecker, Tom Harrell, Eddie Henderson, Ingrid Jensen, John McNeil, Tiger Okoshi, Herb Pomeroy, Barry Ries
- Trombonists: Bob Brookmeyer, Hal Crook
- Pianists: Kenny Barron, Ran Blake, Joanne Brackeen, Jaki Byard, Joey Calderazzo, Chick Corea, Stanley Cowell, David Kikoski, Bevan Manson, John Medeski, (NEC Alum), Alan Pasqua, Danilo P?ez, Kenny Werner, Rachel Z
- Guitarists: John Abercombrie, Mick Goodrick, Chuck Loeb, Ben Monder, Wolfgang Muthspiel, Martin Taylor, Barry Wedgle, David White
- Drummers/Percussionists: Don Alias, Jeff Ballard, Brian Blade, Gary Chaffee, Dennis Chambers, Jack DeJohnette, Peter Erskine, Al Foster, Bob Gullotti, Billy Hart, Roy Haynes, Elvin Jones, Mel Lewis, Mike Mainieri (Vibes), Bob Moses, John Patitucci, Buddy Rich, Mickey Roker, George Schuller, Steve Smith, Jerry Steinhilber, Bill Stewart, Lenny White
- Bassists: Ron Carter, Ray Drummond, Eddie Gomez, Larry Grenedier, Dave Holland, Dennis Irwin, Marc Johnson, John Lockwood, Cecil McBee, Christian McBride, Gary Peacock, Ed Schuller (NEC Alum), Harvie Swartz, Miroslav Vitous, Reggie Workman
- Composers/Conductors: Gil Evans, Gunther Schuller, Carla Bley
- Ensembles: The Carla Bley Big Band, Gil Evans Orchestra, The Fringe (with John Lockwood and Bob Gullotti), George Russell and the In Living Time Orchestra, The Joe Lovano Nonet, Medeski, Martin and Wood, Orange Then Blue, The Woody Herman Band
- Non-jazz artists: Aerosmith, Music Aviva (Tribute to Kurt Weill), The Dells, Extreme, Aretha Franklin, Engelberg Humperdink, Tom Jones, Gladys Knight, Liberace, New Kids on The Block, Elvis Presley, The Temptations
During his 30 years of teaching at institutions, George has taught countless of students. Listed below are a select few of his most noted students.
- Saxophone/Woodwinds: Teadross Avery, Seamus Blake, Kenny Brooks, Chris Cheek, Dino Govoni, Branford Marsalis, Donny McCaslin, Bill McHenry, Andrew Rathbun, Joshua Redman, Scott Robinson, Chris Speed, Marcus Strickland, Mark Turner, Doug Yates
- Bruce Barth, piano, Damian Draghici, pan flute, Danilo P?ez, piano, Antonio Sanchez, drums, Luciana Souza, voice, John Sullivan, bass, Chris Wood, bass, Manuel Valero, piano, Norm Zocher, guitar
- Massachusetts: Acton Jazz Cafe, Berklee Performance Center, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, NEC's Jordan Hall, Middle East Caf? Michael's Jazz Club, Natick Center for the Arts, The Regattabar, Ryles Jazz Club, Scullers Jazz Club, Wally's Cafe, The Western Front, Willow Jazz Club, The Zeitgeist Gallery
- Maine: Center for Cultural Exchange (Portland), faculty at the Maine Jazz Camp (Farmington).
- New York City, NY: The Blue Note, Birdland, Cornelia Street Cafe The Guggenheim Museum, The Iridium (with the Carla Bley Big Band), The Jazz Standard, The Knitting Factory, Smith's Bar, Sweet Rhythm, The Village Vanguard (with the Joe Lovano Nonet), Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola Jazz At Lincoln Center
- Percussive Arts Society International Convention (PASIC) performer in Louisville, KY (2003) and Nashville, TN (2001).
- Performed at the Grammy Awards Reception with Peter Erskine, Alan Pasqua and special guest Chick Corea, Los Angeles, CA (2004)
- Performed with Peter Erskine at the International Music Products Association's (NAMM) Trade Show representing Shure Microphones Los Angeles Convention Center, CA (1999)
- AS-220, Providence, RI.
- Green Mill, Chicago, Ill.
- Venues in Buffalo, NY, Hawaii, HI, Las Vegas, NV, Philadelphia, PA, San Antonio, TX
- Italy: Umbria Summer Jazz Festival in Perugia (with George Russell In Living Time Orchestra), Umbria Winter Jazz Festival in Orvieto (with Joe Lovano Nonet), Terni Jazz Festival (with Frank Tiberi, Billy Hart and Dave Liebman), Rome Jazz Festival (with Billy Hart, Ray Drummond and James Spaulding), Catania (with the Woody Herman Band), Rocella Jazz Festival, venues in Iseo, Sicily, Trapani, Genoa, Laurino, Florence, Pescara and Milan.
- France: Bordeax Jazz Festival, venues in Paris
- Copenhagen Jazz Festival, Copenhagen, Denmark (1998-present)
- Workshop for Jazz and Improvised Music (JIMS), Salzburg, Austria (2004, 2005)
- Molde Jazz Festival, Norway (2003)
- Helsinki Jazz Festival, Finland
- Azures Jazz Festival, Portugal
- Israel: Red Sea Jazz Festival, Tel Aviv Jazz Festival (with Peter Erskine)
- Tribute to Coltrane Jazz Festival, various cities, Japan (with Dave Liebman, Michael Brecker, Joshua Redman), (1998)
- Tour of South America with Danilo Perez (including Panama, Curacao and Colombia), (1996)
- Performances/workshops given at venues in Poland, Istanbul (Turkey), Sofia (Bulgaria), South Africa, Australia and Hong Kong